macOS M1 Ventura
If you’re a dedicated Unreal Tournament 99 fan like me, you’ll want to run the game on the latest operating systems and hardware. I have successfully run Unreal Tournament 99 on an M1 Macbook Pro running macOS Ventura 13.0.1.
- To run the game under macOS for the M1 processor you need:
- Download the version from the repository, https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTournamentPatches/releases for macOS.
- Drop UnrealTournament.app to /Applications
- Create an Unreal Tournament folder in ~/Library/Application Support/
- Copy the Windows versions of the Maps, Sounds, Textures, Music folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament
- Delete the files LadderFonts.utx, UWindowFonts.utx from the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament/Textures
- Run UnrealTournament.app from /Applications, enjoy the frags!
The penultimate step is needed to display the correct fonts, the original ones are displayed too small.
After starting, configure the screen resolution, keyboard, font size in the GUI, and other necessary settings.
Also, for dessert, the launch of Unreal Tournament 99 on Windows 11, the game works immediately after installation, without additional shamanism, but there are problems with displaying the GUI, the performance of an outdated D3D renderer. Therefore, it is better to use the patched version.
- The launch process is very similar to that for macOS:
- Download version from https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTournamentPatches/releases repository for Windows, for example in zip.
- Unpack and replace files over the current Unreal Tournament.
- Run the game from [Game folder]/System/UnrealTournament.exe
I am glad that fans continue to support such a masterpiece and there is an opportunity to play even on modern hardware.